Thursday 17 February 2011

What puts the 'Great' into Great Britain

I confess, I sometimes listen to a little bit of American country music. Many scoff at its over sentimentality and celebration of a kind of America that only exists in, well, country music. One favourite in recent years on country radio has been 'It's America' by Rodney Atkins, with a chorus that lists his idea of what makes America:

It’s a high school prom, it’s a Springsteen song
It’s a ride in a Chevrolet
It’s a man on the moon and fireflies in June
And kids selling lemonade
It’s cities and farms, it’s open arms
One nation under God
It’s America

Yes it is cheesy, yes many in America wouldn't agree with this rose tinted view of life but, just for a bit of fun, on my London bus home last night I came up with the following list of what I believe puts the 'Great' into Great Britain:

It's her Majesty The Queen, the memory of The Few
It's Cup Final Day
It's a village green, lochs, hills, white cliffs and streams   
It's a sense of fair play
It's golden ale, red balls hitting bails
Three countries in union
It's Great Britain

I'm happy for y'all to disagree and, heck, feel free to write a song about it too if you'd like to.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and I will be interested in what you have to say.