Monday 18 March 2013

A new kind of Budget speech

I have an article published on the ConservativeHome blog about the forthcoming Budget speech. To me Budget day is a wonderful opportunity for the government of the day to communicate to voters. Instead we get a poorly constructed speech which is overly complicated; failing to stick to one consistent theme.  

This is why, to grab the opportunity handed to him, I’d advise George Osborne to construct a very different kind of budget speech; shorter, more focussed on one theme, not trying to be like Gordon Brown, or any previous Chancellor, and instead use the Budget to communicate a message and a plan rather than be seen to tinker.

On the blog I've been attacked by some claiming I'm advocating 'spin' rather than substance. This is the opposite of my advice. With simplicity will come greater understanding, as I say in the article:

"No speech which grabs people can be without substantial policy but, as Ronald Reagan’s speech-writer, Peggy Noonan, says “big things are communicated using small words.” Of course Treasury officials will want to over-complicate things to prove their worth, but this must be resisted. Osborne should insist on brevity to keep us – and him – focussed."

You can read the full article here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and I will be interested in what you have to say.