Wednesday 13 February 2013

Ronald Reagan delivers alternative State of Union - in 1964

President Obama delivered his first State of the Union speech last night since being re-elected. Then, this morning, as I was reviewing famous speeches for a training course I am preparing, I came across a powerful campaign speech from Ronald Reagan delivered in 1964 in support of the then Republican Presidential candidate Barry Goldwater.

What is amazing is that Reagan and Obama cover much of the same ground and Reagan's speech - substituting names of individuals and countries, updating facts - could have been delivered by Mitt Romney as his stump speech.

Apart from the fact this is a great example of speech writing and speech making it is worth a look to see how the personnel in politics change but the issues remain the same:

 

1 comment:

  1. I thought his speech was very reminescent of Reagan. I don't know why. Good someone dug this up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and I will be interested in what you have to say.